Sunday, August 02, 2026

9th after Trinity sermon; 2nd August 2026. Jeremiah 1.4-10

 

The Unlikely Candidate

Jeremiah 1:4–10

 “Surely You’ve Got the Wrong Person”



Have you ever found yourself thinking, “God could never use someone like me”?

Maybe you’ve looked at your life and thought, I’m too inexperienced. I’m too old. I don’t know enough. I’ve made too many mistakes. There are far better people than me.

Most of us have had those thoughts.

The interesting thing is that nearly every person God called in the Bible had exactly the same reaction.

Moses said he couldn’t speak.

Gideon insisted he came from the weakest family.

Isaiah cried out that he had unclean lips.

Jonah ran away.

And Jeremiah? Jeremiah simply said, “Lord… I’m just a kid.”

It’s comforting, isn’t it? The heroes of faith weren’t fearless superheroes. They were ordinary people who found themselves standing before an extraordinary God.

Today’s reading isn’t simply about the calling of an ancient prophet. It’s about the way God still calls ordinary people—people like you and me—to serve Him in the places He has planted us.

Let’s listen again to God’s Word from Jeremiah chapter 1.


I. Before You Knew God, God Knew You

The very first thing God says to Jeremiah is astonishing:

“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you; before you were born I consecrated you.”

Imagine hearing those words.

Jeremiah’s story didn’t begin on the day he heard God’s voice.

It began long before he took his first breath.

Before his parents dreamed of him…

Before anyone knew his name…

Before Jeremiah had done anything good—or anything bad—

God already knew him.

That tells us something wonderful.

Our lives are not accidents.

We are not random collections of cells drifting through history.

We are known.

Loved.

Seen.

God’s knowledge of us comes before our achievements, before our failures, before our doubts.

That’s incredibly freeing.

So much of life is spent asking, Who am I? What am I supposed to do?

We search for answers everywhere. We take personality tests. We compare ourselves with others. We wonder whether we’re successful enough or gifted enough.

But God says, “I knew you before you ever started asking those questions.”

Our purpose doesn’t begin with us.

It begins with Him.


II. The Excuses We Love to Keep 

Jeremiah hears God’s call…

…and immediately starts making excuses.

“Ah, Lord God! I do not know how to speak, for I am only a youth.”

Can you hear the panic?

God says, “I’ve appointed you.”

Jeremiah replies, “You must have the wrong person.”

Honestly, that’s a very human response.

Whenever God opens a door, our eyes usually go straight to everything we think is wrong with us.

“I don’t know enough.”

“I’ve never done this before.”

“I’m not outgoing.”

“I’m too shy.”

“I’m too busy.”

“I’m too old.”

“I’m too young.”

“I’ve messed up too much.”

Our excuses may change over the years, but they all say the same thing:

“Lord, surely someone else would do this better.”

Fear has a remarkable ability to shrink our vision.

It makes our weaknesses look enormous and God’s power look very small.

Jeremiah wasn’t really measuring himself against the task.

He was forgetting to measure the task against God.

And perhaps that’s where some of us are today.


III. God Doesn’t Argue With the Excuse

I find God’s response fascinating.

He doesn’t stop to debate Jeremiah.

He doesn’t give him a motivational speech.

He simply says,

“Do not say, ‘I am only a youth.’”

In other words,

“Stop defining yourself by what you think you lack.”

Then God shifts Jeremiah’s focus.

Jeremiah keeps saying, “I…”

God keeps saying, “I…”

“I send.”

“I command.”

“I am with you.”

The center of the story is no longer Jeremiah.

It’s God.

That changes everything.

Faith isn’t confidence in ourselves.

Faith is confidence in the One who sends us.

Notice the simplicity of God’s instructions.

Go where I send you.

Say what I tell you.

Don’t be afraid.

Why?

Because I am with you.

Not because you’re strong.

Not because you’re eloquent.

Not because you’ll never make mistakes.

Because I’m with you.

Those four words have carried God’s people through centuries of impossible situations.

“I am with you.”

They’re enough.


IV. When God Touches What We Lack

Then comes one of the most tender moments in the passage.

“The Lord reached out His hand and touched my mouth.”

What a beautiful picture.

God doesn’t merely issue commands from heaven.

He comes near.

He touches the very place where Jeremiah feels most inadequate.

Jeremiah says,

“I can’t speak.”

God says,

“Then let Me take care of your mouth.”

That’s often how God works.

He doesn’t always remove our weakness.

Instead, He meets us in it.

Our weakness becomes the place where His strength shines brightest.

Many of us know that feeling.

You’ve wondered how to comfort a grieving friend.

How to talk with your children about faith.

How to witness to a neighbour.

How to pray when words won’t come.

In those moments, remember Jeremiah.

God still gives His people the words they need.

Not perfect words.

Not polished speeches.

Just faithful words.


V. First the Demolition, Then the Garden

Finally, God tells Jeremiah what his ministry will involve.

It’s quite a list.

To pluck up.

To tear down.

To destroy.

To overthrow.

Only then—

To build.

To plant.

At first glance it sounds harsh.

But anyone who’s ever renovated an old house understands exactly what’s happening.

Before you paint the walls…

You have to remove the mould.

Before you lay a new floor…

You have to rip out the rotten boards.

Before you plant a garden…

You pull the weeds.

Growth often begins with clearing away what doesn’t belong.

The same is true in our spiritual lives.

Sometimes God lovingly tears down our pride.

Sometimes He uproots bitterness.

Sometimes He exposes lies we’ve believed for years.

Not because He delights in breaking things.

But because He’s preparing the ground for something better.

God never demolishes without also rebuilding.

He tears down so He can plant.

He wounds so He can heal.

He prunes so life can flourish.


Conclusion: God Still Chooses the Unlikely

So where does this leave us today?

Perhaps you’re still thinking,

“I’m not the kind of person God uses.”

If that’s true, then you’re in excellent company.

David was the forgotten shepherd boy.

Moses stumbled over his words.

Peter often spoke before he thought.

Jeremiah was frightened.

Paul once persecuted the Church.

Again and again, God chooses unlikely people.

Not because they’re impressive.

But because His grace is.

The Gospel itself tells the same story.

God didn’t save the world through military power or political influence.

He saved it through a carpenter from Nazareth who carried a cross.

The world calls that weakness.

God calls it salvation.

Maybe God isn’t asking you to preach to nations.

But He may be asking you to encourage one lonely person.

To forgive someone.

To serve quietly.

To raise your children in the faith.

To speak hope into a hurting family.

To stand for truth with gentleness and courage.

Never underestimate what God can do through one willing heart.

The question has never been, “Am I good enough?”

The question is, “Will I trust the One who promises to be with me?”

Years later, the Apostle Paul encouraged another timid young servant named Timothy:

“God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and love and self-control.”

The God who strengthened Jeremiah is the same God who strengthens His Church today.

So don’t let fear write the story of your life.

Let God write it.

Because He knew you before you were born.

He has never lost sight of you.

He walks beside you.

And He delights in using ordinary people to accomplish extraordinary things for His kingdom.

Thanks be to God.

Amen.


Prayer

Let us pray.

Heavenly Father,

Thank You for knowing us long before we ever knew You. Thank You for calling ordinary people into Your extraordinary work.

Forgive us for the times we’ve hidden behind fear, excuses, or feelings of inadequacy. Help us to stop looking only at ourselves and to fix our eyes on You.

When we feel weak, remind us that Your strength is made perfect in weakness. When we don’t know what to say, place Your words on our lips. When we are afraid to take the next step, reassure us with Your promise: “I am with you.”

Where our hearts need rebuilding, tear down whatever keeps us from trusting You. Uproot our pride, our bitterness, and our fears, and plant instead faith, hope, love, and joyful obedience.

Use each of us—in our homes, our workplaces, our schools, our neighbourhoods, and our church—to bear witness to Christ.

We ask all this in the name of Jesus, who calls us, equips us, and never leaves us.

Amen.

Go in peace.

And remember: God has never been looking for perfect people. He has always been looking for willing ones. 



No comments:

Post a Comment